For young people choosing to remain at home there are a number of services and support available:

  • Short breaks (respite) provided by Children’s Services will cease when your child turns 18, but other options from Adults’ Services will be available. Some other options, such as Crossroads, may continue when your child is over 18.
  • Care Package A care package provides one-to-one support for any activity or care needed to be done. Your care package can be arranged by Social Services or you by using Direct Payments.
  • Independent Living Fund provides payments to people with severe disabilities. This gives some severely disabled people the opportunity to live independently at home instead of in residential care. The local branch of the independent living movement is called the Ealing Centre for Independent Living, which represents and supports local people in Ealing.
  • Home adaptation If your home needs improvements and adaptations to help your child continue to live there, you can ask the Occupational Therapy Service of the council to do an assessment of your home. The Occupational Therapy Team will assess what adaptations are appropriate to meet the needs of your child. The assessment, equipment and adaptations under £1000 are free of charge. If your home needs an adaptation over £1000 you may be rewarded with a Disabled Facilities Grant.

  • Shared Lives Some young people choose to live with a family that provides Shared Lives services (formerly Adult Placement). Shared Lives Services are similar to fostering because Shared Lives Providers are ordinary people who share their home with a registered disabled person.
  • Sheltered Housing For some young people the best option is to live in sheltered housing.  Sheltered Housing  is a specially designed flat or house which provides independent secure accommodation with additional support.  In Ealing the CHOICE scheme provides support to people with learning disabilities living in their own homes, either rented through a housing association, charity or through home ownership.

Further Education Options Minimize
  • Some young people would like to stay on at school after the age of 16.
  • Others would like to go to a local college.
  • There are also those whose needs can be best met at a specialist college. You can get more information about residential colleges on the website of the National Association of Specialist Colleges.
  • Your child may only be considered for funding at an Independent Specialist college if it is agreed by local colleges that they are unable to meet the young person's needs.
Daytime options Minimize

There are a number of day centres in Ealing that provide day care opportunities for disabled people. These centres can be accessed through Social Services. Your child can also use an Individual budget . Using an Individual budget means that instead of social services arranging services for you, you can be given an annual cash payment to buy the services and support you need and choose the kind of support that is right for you. A booklet is available form Ealing Social Services called "My Social Care Support" which explains the process of being assessed for an Individual budget and putting together a support plan.

Employment options Minimize
  • Training for employment: there are training providers that prepare young disabled people for work. In Ealing, Learning Curve offers young people the opportunity to work towards employment. STEP is another work preparation and training provider which can be accessed by young people who qualify for support from Social services, as their needs are deemed to be "critical" or "substantial." These young people pay to attend specific activities using their Individual budget.
  • Employment and supported employment: Jobcentre Plus Disability Employment Advisors have knowledge of schemes and programmes that can support people into employment. To learn more about work schemes and programmes for disabled people visit the Directgov website.
  • Ealing also has an Apprentice scheme, and allocates some spaces each year to young people who have learning difficulties. Young people gain skills and experience working within the local authority's services, in areas such as administration, child care, or gardening.
Transition Minimize
boy on a bike