What next? Minimize

When your child reaches 18, they may be transferred to Adult Services. This will generally depend on whether the child is known to the Childrens' Social Care Team.  Should this be so, then, depending on their primary disability, their file will be transferred either to the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities or to the Young Physical Disabilities Team. If the young person is fully looked after, the Leaving Care Team might come on board too.

In order to make sure that there is a continuity of services, the planning process for a smooth transfer from Children to Adult Services starts at around age 17. At this stage you and your child will have a meeting with a Care Manager from Adult Services. This will happen either as part of the Year 11 Annual Review or a Looked After Child Review. At this stage the Care Manager will start a Community Care Assessment.

The assessment will establish what your child’s needs are and what services he or she is entitled to. You will be given information on what type of services available, which services you may be charged for, and how much they will cost. If you feel that you cannot meet the charges in full, Adults Services will ask you to fill out a Financial Circumstances Form.

Why not ask for a welfare benefits check in order to maximise your income. You are also entitled to ask for your needs as a carer to be assessed when an assessment is being carried out for the person you care for. This assessment is called the Carers Assessment.

To find out more about what you might be entitled to there is a good overview here at the Citizens Advice Bureau Advice Guide

Transition Pages Minimize